Friday 2 December 2011

Two more BIOs from ex-students.

First we have one from  Richard Jessop:


Career:
BA (ANU), 1963-1968, which was nearly a record - majors in darts, snooker, table tennis and 500 as well as some history (medieval) geography and political science); Dip.Ed. (Sydney, 1969), Taught at NSW high schools (Belmore Boys' & Coleambally Central) 1970-1973. Joined technical staff of the School of Geography, UNSW, October 1973 and stayed until made an offer I couldn't refuse, December 1998. Duties mainly involved running the School's small library/map collection, although in later years there was help with fieldwork as well, especially at the Arid Zone Research Station near Broken Hill. Retired to a small cottage about 50km up the Derwent from Hobart surrounded by a fairly substantial personal library.

Social and Political:
Confirmed Bachelor (whatever that might mean). Fairly active in political and social causes in the 60s and 70s, but that flame has since reduced to a flicker. 

Sustaining Passions:
Apart from that flicker........Books, especially but not exclusively history ("all centuries but this and every country but my own"); classical music and films - in both case a wide, possibly eclectic, variety; and Carlton Football Club, which has delivered 8 flags since I've been following, and you have to be happy with that. I took up bush walking relatively late in life (mid 1970s) but made up for that by spending all annual leave for the next 25 years, (up to 6 weeks in later years) in the bush. Most of these walks were done alone many of 7-10 days and several of 12-14 days. Since high open spaces appeal, N.Z. , Tasmania and the Snowies were targets of choice, with the odd trip to desert ranges and one to Nepal. Have now slowed down a bit, unfortunately, and the Tas. Central Plateau (no hills) are my current favourite stamping ground.

Our second one for this posting come from  Helen Moebus now Ganter:

After finishing High School embarked on a Science career at the John Curtin School of Medical Research.
Direction changed when I left Canberra to accompany my Army Officer Husband Laurie, on numerous postings throughout Australia and overseas.
Finally settled in the beautiful Northern Rivers area of N.S.W. at Tweed Heads.
We are blessed with two Daughters and four teenage Grandchildren.
As a Lay Minister in the Anglican Church my days are very full and rewarding. Along with other Church commitments I am kept busy giving Pastoral care to the elderly in the local nursing homes.
I have a passion for singing and belong to the Murwillumbah Philharmonic Choir.
Keeping fit is a bit of an obsession, attend the local gym and enter as many charity fun runs that my busy life allows.


Please return soon to see if there are any more BIO posting.

2 comments:

  1. A passion for singing eh? Leads me to 'Ben' as he is known in a book he inspired, by Sally Forrest. 'Ben',9, is our oldest orphan and a late-term-abortion survivor.He is classified as ADHD by some pedagogues, which is not now PC. It's no longer a 'disability' but a 'difference'. Anyway he is challenging for me and our teachers. I was blown away the other day to hear him rehearsing for our 2nd annual concert. After hearing 'Save the last dance for me', in English, he sang it confidently and word perfect! Took me back instantly to TPHS socials, until they grabbed my microphone from me. How did our Thai teachers, only one of whom has conversational English, come up with that c. 1960 oldie? phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Im looking for a Helen Moebus that visited Germany and Puerto Rico around her age. If is her please contact me at rp950179@gmail.com if not, disregard this message.

    ReplyDelete