Thursday 1 December 2011


More for the TPHS BIO readers to consume.

Lynne Davis's  Biography:

My first contact with Telopea Park was in 1951 when my parents moved from Sydney to Canberra. I attended the school for one year, before moving to the north of the city. I don’t remember much from that time, apart from the fact that our classroom was in the church hall across the road from the school, and that the school dentist removed seven of my teeth in one day!!  I do still have my school photo from that year and it features many of the people with whom I later shared the high school experience. I’m sure that a number of them will be at the reunion next March, although none of us are likely to be recognizable as the little darlings in the photo.

I attended Telopea Park from my first day of high school at the beginning of1958 until I completed the Leaving Certificate in 1962. After that, I spent a few years at the ANU, acquiring degrees in Psychology and Sociology, before travelling overland on the old hippie trail to the UK, where I lectured for a time in a college in Yorkshire. In 1972 I returned to Australia to take up a lectureship in Sydney, where I mostly stayed for the rest of my career.

In Sydney I met Patrick, an Irish engineer who had arrived here to work on the Opera House. He had come for 6 months, but after marriage and two children he is still here, although he makes regular visits to Ireland and we have lived there for a short time. We’ve both recently retired and are in the process of working out what that means.  Our children are aged 24 and 32. Our son lives in New Guinea and our daughter in Sydney.

Apart from the usual aspects of moving through the life cycle – partnerships, children, career, changing shape and greying hair, and so on – one of the big changes in my life has been the loss of my sight in recent years. This has posed many challenges and much new learning, some of which I’ve enjoyed and much that I would rather not have done.  If you’re attending the reunion in March, please come and say hello – I doubt that your voice will sound quite like it did when I last met you, and even if you are still the gorgeous young thing you were then, I’ll have to rely on someone else to tell me that! Inside, though, we’re all still around seventeen, aren’t we?…

 
Marelle Willis (now Price) provided the following:

After first year at Coffs Harbour High and two highly enjoyable years at Telopea, I completed my schooling at Canberra High.

After leaving school I obtained a General Nursing Certificate at RPA, Sydney.  I also nursed at Royal Alexandria Children's Hospital.

Married current spouse, Glyn, in 1968.
Three children – sons in 1969 and 1971 and a daughter in 1973.
Six grandchildren – boys aged 11, 10,10 (twins), 9 and 8; and our first granddaughter, 4.

Worked part time as a receptionist at the Erindale Sport and Recreation Centre (where I  shook hands with Prince Charles and met Princess Diana – didn't curtsey) and later at the Canberra Magistrates Court as a court monitor recording court proceedings (where I encountered Canberra's criminal aristocracy).

Now contentedly retired.
Travelled to UK, Italy and USA in 1986.
Toured Europe in 1996.
Other trips to NZ and Singapore to see family.

More BIOs coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment