Wednesday 14 December 2011

IT'S GREAT NEWS, WE HAVE ANOTHER BIO TO POST!

This one takes  us from Brian Leonard in the late '50s to now:



















My family migrated to Australia in early 1956, and we originally settled in Adelaide, with my father working as a compositor for the Adelaide News.  My mother was particularly homesick, and in late 1957 opportunities arose for both my parents to get work at the Government Printing Office in Canberra.  My family settled into Bremer Street, Griffith, and in 1958 I enrolled at TPHS.

At school, I enjoyed cricket, tennis and softball; however, my gymnastic skills left a lot to be desired!  My memories include the 3rd Year Farewell concert in 1958 (or 1959?) when some of the students strummed guitars and mimed the latest pop records in the tuck shop area; I thought they were great!  Also, a memory of several of us who used to gather before school started each morning near the woodwork / tech drawing block (not for a smoke, I hasten to add!).   Looking back, we were very lucky to have the teachers we had; I had Mrs Thompson for English (and Modern History?), Mr Wigney for French, Mr Fleisher for Woodwork, Mr Gamble for Metalwork, Mr McNab for Gym and Ms Grant for Biology.  Maths was my favourite subject, with Mr Cameron, Mr McGann, Mr Backhouse, Mr Martin and Mr Robinson (or Robertson?).   I remember one Christmas giving Mr Robinson a gift of a pair of socks!  I now reflect on my schooling, and realise that I tended to view it solely as a ‘necessary’ time, rather than as a base from which to plan one’s life direction.

On the afternoon following my final Leaving Certificate exam in 1962, my father took me to the Public Service Board,  and I had with me a letter that the Commonwealth Statistician had sent to all 5th Year Maths I & II students inviting them  to consider a future in the Census and Statistics Office.  I commenced work there next day, in West Block.  That was the start of a 38 years’ public service career in statistics, social security and taxation; with postings to Adelaide and Sydney. I held various senior management and executive positions, including Deputy Commonwealth Statistician (South Australia), Assistant Secretary (Social Security) and Assistant Commissioner of Taxation. Since leaving the Service in 2001 I have worked for local government, aged care facilities, building developers, community radio and indigenous media; mainly in the areas of strategic planning, and financial modelling & management.

From 1963 to 1971 I undertook an Economics degree part-time at the ANU, graduating in 1972 with a University Prize in Accounting.  My part-time studies took a long time, as I became pre-occupied with the girl whom I married in 1969; a nurse, Sue Donovan.  Next August, we celebrate 43 years of marriage; and we have been blessed with 3 children & 2 grandchildren (and another due in March), all of whom live locally. 

My hobbies include overseas travel, Rotary and community radio.  I am currently with Queanbeyan West Rotary, and ArtSound FM 92.7 at Manuka.   Semi-retired, I still do the occasional consultancy.

DON'T FORGET TO CLICK ON THE WORDS "Older Posts" TO SEE EARLIER BIOS!

and please send in your BIO and photo, there is still room and time!



No comments:

Post a Comment