Monday 30 January 2012

 
FROM NEW ZEALAND A NEW BIO!


Pamela Balm (Jones)

Born in Wellington, New Zealand January 1945, my parents moved in 1950 to Timaru in the South Island.

In 1958 we moved to Canberra, Australia for 2 years.  I attended Telopea Park High from May 1958 to May 1960 then returned to Timaru to complete my schooling at Timaru Girls’ High.

In 1962 I began a cadetship for Cartographic Branch of Lands and Survey NZ in Wellington. My family had moved again!  I spent 18 months there and then transferred to NZ Post Office as an Architectural Draughtswoman.

January 1966 I married David Balm, whom I had met while working in the Cartographic Branch. Our family was completed with 2 sons over the next 5 years.

Over the years since then we have lived in Masterton, (7 years), a year in Enschede, The Netherlands and settled in Lower Hutt where we still live.

After raising children to teenagers I returned to work in IT in the Computer support area setting up and managing Help Desks and later Service and Contract Management. I am now retired but managing a small gift shop in Lower Hutt for Save the Children NZ. I also get to buy the goods to sell which is great!

Through all the years since college I have continued to study and enjoy music, specifically piano and vocal.  I belong to the Orpheus Choir of Wellington and have been with them for 25 years. I hope to continue as long as my body allows me to stand for long periods of music and that I also pass the auditions. The standing may get me first!

We have 4 grandchildren, 2 for each son and this year the family were together for Christmas, a bonus as they will be taking off in to the world over the next few years.

David and I both love travel and have enjoyed visiting many parts of Australia.  We also really enjoy Canal Boating in France and travelling to other countries on the way.  We still have lots of places to see and hopefully plenty of time.



Thanks Pam, now all you others can send one in too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment